In this House, built in the mid-15th century in the Renaissance style of the time by Martín Pinzón, his three sons were born: Martín Alonso, Vicente Yáñez, and Francisco Martín Pinzón (brothers from the same father and mother, as what appears to be a surname is actually a second name, usually received from the baptismal godfather). These three men played an essential role in the organization and realization of Columbus’ project to reach the East by way of the West. The house features a 16th-century facade, adorned with a niche framed between two columns and tiles similar to those used by the Polido family in Triana around 1540.
In 1828, it was visited by Washington Irving, attended to by its owner Juan Hernández Pinzón. The descendants of the Pinzón family lived in it until a few years ago. Hence, we find elements from different eras, considering that, just like what happened with the town of Palos, the Discovery of America ruined the Pinzón family. Therefore, their dwelling, which originally was the house of affluent sailors, gradually becomes that of poor farmers.
Acquired by the City Council of Palos de la Frontera, it has been restored with the collaboration of the Junta de Andalucía, currently dedicated to the research, conservation, and permanent exhibition of documents, bibliography, and objects related to the history of the Pinzón family and Palos de la Frontera in the Discovery of America.