The Plaza Comandante Ramón Franco is dedicated to the intrepid aviator for the famous international flight of the Plus Ultra Seaplane, which departed from the Calzadilla Pier in Palos de la Frontera on January 22, 1926, bound for Buenos Aires, as stated on the tile located on the facade of the municipal building on the left side of the square. Designed by architect Alfonso Aramburu, it was built between the late 1970s and early 1980s, inaugurated in 1981. It replaced the previous existing square made of exposed brick. Dominating the space is the sculpture by Antonio Pinto Soldán, dedicated to Martín Alonso Pinzón, captain of La Pinta. The statue was created for the Ibero-American Exhibition of Seville in 1929 and moved to Palos de la Frontera in 1945. Several replicas of this work are preserved, one in the former Town Hall building of La Palma del Condado (Huelva), and another in the neighboring town of Bayona la Real (Pontevedra), donated by the Palermo city council, a presence promoted by the Royal Palosfila Pinzoniana Society.